Thursday 15 March 2012

To judge a book by it's cover

When you are writing a book/books, I find that there are many times when your mind just wanders off-topic, as if it is having a little scheduled break that it had not told you about.
Often, these random thoughts will be connected with the book and your writing and if you're like me, there should be several favourite book-related daydreams you frequently return to.
Some of my usual suspects include:
1) Who would play certain characters in the movie blockbuster (it's always a blockbuster - never a flop)?
2) Where, in the entire world, will I discover/create my perfect writing space and what views from there will I have?
and the most recurring culprit...
3) What will my book cover design be like.

Now the saying 'Never judge a book by it's cover' only really makes sense if judging a book by it's cover is something that we actually do. I know I do.

One of my favourite authors is Terry Pratchett and I must admit that it was the manic, crazy, colourful and exciting cover illustrations by Josh Kirby (see www.joshkirbyart.com for details) that made me pick up Mort - my first ever trip into the Discworld.

I guess that when you want to put your book out there that choosing a cover design is one of the most important things to do correctly.

I am lucky in that my best friend James M Weightman is an artist of stunning talent (see http://www.meridimion.co.uk/jmw-designs ), although he has not done book covers before. I say I am lucky because I know that he gets me, that he understands me like no-one else because we grew up together and have the same frame of reference for almost everything. Sometimes I will see a book cover and think "Wow. Did the author really agree to that?" or after reading a book I will look at the cover and think "This cannot have been the best representation of this book that they could think of, surely?"

I am looking forward to completing my writing projects as it will give me the opportunity to work with Jim on something that I feel only he can get inside my head and pull out the exact picture as I imagine it for myself.

For those of you who are looking to design your own book covers, I - a currently unpublished author - have the following advice:

1) Listen to what your friends/readers tell you, what your publisher tells you and any experts you work with
2) Take the time for them to get to know you and your work well before committing
3) Listen to your heart

If it doesn't feel right and represent your book properly, then keep working on it - your perfect book cover is there somewhere in the darkest recesses of your mind. It exists!

By getting your cover right you will increase your sales and your success and allow all of us lazy people who judge a book by it's cover to continue doing just that - thank you.

All images displayed on these pages are copyrighted and remain the physical and intellectual property of James M Weightman. Reproduction of any of these images without the express written consent of the artist will be a breach of copyright law. To contact the artist - email tobyhewson.author@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment